Update firmware, new stuff, query

Hi. Im considering updating to 1.3 to get the tape saturation option. Reading the notes it seems you have to do something via midi to access this… but I dont have a midi controller.
Is that feature, which was pretty well hyped, not available to me then?
If so then thats disappointing. It might be nice in future that the Compression knob is centre null, and one way adds compression while the other does tape saturation, like the “tape noise” parameter that has two options on the same knob

Thanks

Hi @LaceSensor

Sorry about that. We didn’t want to add another multi-function knob to Ribbons’ already nuanced user interface and so we decided to set it up as a MIDI CC option.

If you’d like, I can create a custom firmware update file for you that is identical to v1.3 but saturation is the factory default. You would just have to do the firmware update and then perform a factory reset.

Let me know if that interests you and I’ll get on it.

1 Like

HI Jaak, very kind of you to offer but for the meantime I wouldnt presume to ask for that.
I am going to examine if I have any way to send midi from either my electric piano or a small synth I have (alesis Micron).

Ian

1 Like

Ok! Just let me know. Really it’s not too much trouble. Would only take me 5-10 mins to make and upload it to the site.

1 Like

In that case, sure, because my synth doesnt send CC midi, rather NRPN.

1 Like

Hey Jaak, I’m not sure if or when I’ll be sending midi to Ribbons, the option of the compressor or saturation updates would be nice.
Will you make these two options available on the site in the future?

@Rich @LaceSensor sure thing. I’m off today but I’ll try and get to it tomorrow. I’ll release a “saturation default” option for future firmware updates too so that others without MIDI tools can get access to it. I’ll post here when they’re available for download on the Development Blog.

2 Likes

Sorry - today got the better of me and I didn’t end up finishing this. Should be up tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

The alternate firmware files that will enable saturation by default are available for download on the Ribbons development blog. You will need to perform a factory reset after updating. Instructions for updating can be found here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Edit - fixed it.
used a different iphone and it worked. Didnt change anything else, oddly.

Cheers!

Hi

Seems like my Pink 2022 ribbons is bricked.
I did the iphone type update, and as soon as I played the WAV file, via iphone, the left LED (under the green menu icon) turned red, and it now wont do anything.

Can you help, Jaak?

thanks

Ian

Hey Ian,

Glad to hear you go it sorted. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m 95% sure your Ribbons wasn’t bricked, the bootloader just failed to complete the update. Before it starts writing the firmware to memory, it erases the old application, and then installs the new one. So if the update isn’t successful then it won’t boot up properly and throws an error with the LEDs.

In this scenario (which you did), double check that you’re using the right file, then tweak your setup and keep trying the update. Sometimes turning the volume up will do the trick. I’m always happy to help people troubleshoot and have never been in a scenario where I couldn’t get a unit to update.

Enjoy the latest! Crushed Cassette will get you some wonderfully crispy distortion and Disintegration Loop is also a lot of fun.

Yeah the wierd thing was it wouldnt turn on/boot up so I am glad that I got it to update with the other phone!

Ive had those options with the Green unit I purchased this year, just got round to updating the 2022 pink unit…
Crazy deep pedal

Oh that’s right! I forgot you have 2 Ribbons :joy: :white_heart:

1 Like