For those of you who have a Ribbons and a ZOIA and are on this forum… (Venn diagram forming in my head, anyhow, moving on)… I’m beginning work on a ZOIA controller patch for Ribbons.
I’m still learning what Ribbons can and cannot do, but a few goals:
Create a modulation matrix. This would allow modulation sources from within ZOIA – LFOs, sequencers, envelope followers, pitch detection maybe? (pitch detection is computationally expensive), maybe some weird modulators I cook up – to be routed to parameters within Ribbons. At least right now, in my mind I see this as a 4 (sources) by 7 (destinations) grid, with sources and destinations assignable from the front panel, and attenuversion of sources (e.g. an LFO could be sent positively to one parameter, while acting negatively upon another).
Ideally, this would provide a (relatively) fast way to route modulation to various destinations.
In theory, this aspect could be used with other MIDI-capable pedals, provided the appropriate CC destinations were programmed.
Make the looper functions more accessible. This would probably be some combination of panel controls and stompswitches. There are a lot of possible combinations of those things, so it will take some time to feel out what I think works well. I do want to add some indicator for how much buffer has been used during recording (similar to what I’ve used in airport loops, if you’re familiar with that patch).
I could also extend the modulation matrix to include looper parameters; there’s some fun to be had here. (This is also the point where I add: This may end up being more than one patch, e.g. a modulation patch, a looper focused patch, etc…)
Add a keyboard for controlling the synthesizer. The ZOIA keyboard is monophonic, but there are ways to draw out paraphonic/pseudo-polyphonic capabilities.
Preset management. I might do something weird and make this sequence-able, but I’m not committed to that yet.
Just thought I’d mention this in case anyone had suggestions, requests, etc… I’ve got a few other things going on, so I’m not sure when this will make it from “brainstorming” to “patch creation,” but all of the above is feasible; I have proof of concept for everything, although some questions about best practice for implementation and possibly with the mod matrix aspect some questions about CPU allocation (it involves a lot of switching).