Volume spike when bypassing/engaging Ribbons

Hi!

I just noticed today, that my ribbons has a pretty significant, short volume spike, when bypassing or engaging the pedal. All the settings on ribbons are neutral, but I’m still getting it - when the mix is at 0, but the pedal is still engaged, the spike is not there. I don’t know why this is, I’ve been pretty thorough in having every effect on 0% (especially the comp). What could this be? I have also tried all three different buffer settings.

Hope there is a simple answer:) Thank you in advance

Thanks for the report! I’ll investigate and get back to you.

In buffered bypass there is an algorithm used to fade out the wet signal and simultaneously fade in the dry signal depending on how the mix knob is set - its been a long time since I looked at it but I remember spending a lot of time trying to make it smooth. I will look at it again though - maybe the curve could be optimized to make it smoother.

In true bypass a relay is used (a physical contact switch), so there shouldn’t be a noticeable volume jump but there may be a subtle click, which is pretty common with mechanical switches.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I found a workaround for now. But it do sound like it’s the fade in/out that’s causing the spike - a small thing, but noticeable when wanting to bypass ribbons on something like a drone:) Have a nice weekend.

I’ve added this to our list of things to investigate for the next firmware update. I’ll start working on it in the next couple weeks and roll it out to current users before we ship the next batch of Ribbons.

Yeah, I’ve always had the same issue. What’s your work around?

I mapped a knob to my midi controller that deletes all my loops, which was the situation where I had to bypass it before (playing live in a band).