Sparks wave folding with no gain?

Hi, I’ve noted when I have gain fully counterclockwise and drive/fold fully counterclockwise, I don’t hear any change to my signal. However, if I leave gain at zero but turn the drive/fold slightly, I immediately hear a change to my signal - even with no gain. Is this normal? I was looking to slowly add wave folding to my signal, but it seems that wave folding is immediate as soon as I turn the drive/fold knob.

P.S. I will admit I’m still getting familiar with all of the controls - this pedal is crazy powerful!

P.P.S. I love that the LFO goes into audio rates.

Hey there. Yes this is by design. Depending on the type of input signal the wavefolder can start folding right away, even with the gain set to zero. There was a tradeoff where if the wavefolder were mild at low settings then it wouldn’t be very extreme at the max. I wanted to push it into more extreme territory
since I assumed most guitar players would want to use it as an intense fuzz for leads.

If you want more subtle drive or wavefolding I would suggest trying one of the line level input/output options. This reduces the overall input gain by 14dB. Check out page 30 and 31 in the paper manual - it’s really easy to switch up!

My insistence on having everything be audio rate almost broke me. :sweat_smile: Most companies doing digitally controlled analog will filter the heck out of the control signals so that no digital noise ends up in the audio range. We weren’t able to do that though because we wanted all the controls to go audio rate… so I had to come up with some tricks to make it work.

3 Likes