Ribbons parameters save

Hi there,

I’m certain it’s not possible right now, but will it be possible to save all the settings—that is, to retrieve them from the pedal?
Unless, perhaps, you program everything via MIDI CC and save that list instead.

Regards

I was thinking of something like sending data from audio output.

If you’re takling about dumping the presets from the pedal to a PC - I am sure Jaak is the best person to answer, but based on previous discussions where this matter has been mentioned, there does not seem to be an easy way to achieve this, at least to make it user-accessible.

With MIDI CC yes, this is quite easy, with a MIDI controller advanced enough you can easily store such “CC Presets” on the MIDI controller itself.

Why exactly do you need this feature? What’s the scenario, under which saving presets to the pedal is not sufficient?

Other than flashing the new firmware - this was exactly the subject, discussions around which touched upon this matter earlier in this forum. But then, since Kinotone usually introduces quite a lot of new possibilities in newer FW, “preset dumps” may or may not be compatible and/or useful.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, in fact my problem is that whenever I reset the pedal for some reason, memory slots 9 through 32 get erased.
According to the manual, this shouldn’t happen, yet I lose my settings in those slots.

I’m programming these slots using a Novation Launchcontrol 3, but it’s not easy to retrieve its settings in order to save them.

Regards

This is indeed weird. According to the manual, it should be exactly the opposite.

You’re absolutely sure you actually get those presets stored properly into your Ribbons?

Hey - sorry about that! That’s definitely confusing.

I chatted with Jaak and it actually only works this way on Sparks. This is a byproduct of internal calibration data needing to be saved when resetting the pedal.

It doesn’t work the same way on Ribbons and Ghosts - a factory reset wipes the flash memory and preset slots 1-32 will be restored to defaults. It’d be a ton of work to change that, so it works the way it works, but I’ll definitely update the language in the manual.

I think at some point when revising the Ribbons web manual I snuck that language in because I assumed it worked the same way as Sparks, and then I added it to the Ghosts one as well. I’ll edit them all shortly.

As for the necessity of a factory reset - the main scenario where you’d want to do this is if you pick up a Ribbons secondhand and want to wipe the last user’s presets. In general, the INIT preset (preset 1) is intended as a quick / frequently used reset action. Is there a specific reason you’re factory resetting frequently? Just curious!

2 Likes

Hi, yes I saved my slots correctly.

Hanna confirmed what I said.

Regards

1 Like

Hi

Actually, I reset the device if I’ve accidentally deleted one of presets 1 through 8—which has happened to me a few times—just to get the presets back.

Regards

Thank you for pointing it out - this is very important.

So the bottom line is for both Ribbons and Ghosts there’s no way to make sure user preset survive pedal reset (let alone FW update), is this correct?

I think so; that’s why I’m trying to store the settings using my Launch Control 3 to configure the pedal, and perhaps save the Launch’s SysEx dump for each memory slot from 9 to 32—but it’s a tedious process.

Correct, presets don’t survive a factory reset.

Updating your firmware doesn’t typically erase presets unless we introduce new parameters. When we add new settings that persist between power cycles, we sometimes need to rewrite the preset memory layout to make room for them. If no new persistent settings are introduced, we generally don’t need to erase the presets.

Historically, major firmware updates have sometimes required preset erasure, while minor updates generally haven’t.

1 Like