Ribbons feature request : synth tracking from guitar signal

Hi! I’m really glad to have been able to preorder a Ribbons, i have been waiting for that since some times. So thanks for this new batch! :slightly_smiling_face:

I was looking today at guitar synth pedals and i realised I didn’t like anything i could hear from the existing pedals out there. So i was wondering if a future touch mode on the Ribbons could make the onboard sine synth tracks the guitar signal?

I don’t know if it’s even technically possible, but it could make a nice way to use the existing synth!

I don’t know a whole lot about the hardware in Ribbons specifically (or synths in general), but I don’t think Ribbons has the hardware to make that happen. You could get a pedal like the Ghost Writer by Recovery Effects that converts your signal to midi and then plug that midi end with an adapter into the Ribbons.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Actually i knew about this pedal and even a cheaper alternative (the Sonuus G2M that can be found sometimes used). But i was more curious about the possiblity to have that feature on the Ribbons without the need of another device. Anyway I’ll be happy with the Ribbons without it.

1 Like

Hey @Yan - thanks so much for picking up a Ribbons!

The design intention behind the synth is really for use with external MIDI controllers (Keystep, Beatstep, Elektron boxes, etc). Adding a pitch tracking feature is just not something that aligns with our vision and the development time required would be very high (probably ~100 or more hours).

Thanks for the reply @jaakjensen. I totally understand, and i didn’t realise it would take so much time to implement. As I said, i will be totally happy with the Ribbons as it is. Can’t wait to get it!

1 Like

IMHO your best bet is to invest in the Empress ZOIA. Besides being a multi-fx, sound design, machine, it also features multiple utilities - LFOs, env. followers, pitch-to-midi (!), sequencers - which can be used to make all sort of noisy mayhem with other pedals :grinning:
(caveat: I’m in no way affiliated with Empress, I’m just a fanboi…! :wink:)

1 Like