Drone Ideas,Touch mode

Does anyone have any advice on a setting that would allow a “drone” effect, I’ve been attempting to short the sample length with the repeated touch mode, but I can old get glitchy effects, I would love to be able to hold a steady drone and combine that with the awesome reverb.
Any ideas?

Magnetic Dance with the chord type set to Unity, Fifths, or Octaves and the Speed/Direction setting set to reversed?

If you play a note and then tap Touch about 1 second later, you won’t get the pick attack in the microloop and you’ll just get this nice, smooth, sustained drone. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve gotten some mean drones doing what Jaak commented, but also with heavy pre-reverb, long decay, it turns into a wall pretty quick.

1 Like

Thanks!
I got a couple good drones with that method, but I think I missing something… I usually get a glitchy short loop,
I think I got lucky and grabbed a drone sound a couple times, if I just tap the touch switch quickly does it grab the sound at just that point? How big is the window?

I Appreciate your reply’s :v:

1 Like

I don’t feel like I’m the right guy to be giving tips, but my answer to your question is that it’s a one second window. I think it’s one second. Either way it is indeed very quick, which surprised me at first but makes sense given the nature of the function. I think if it were longer then we wouldn’t be able to hear the chords from T1 and it would be loud chaos. Could be wrong.

But still, I find that when I do a Magnetic tape loop and turn the reverb up in either direction with a longish decay, you can’t not make a drone. Or maybe my definition of “drone” is wrong. Like I said, probably the wrong guy, but still trying to help.

Have you played with the disintegration loop mode yet? Even just looping a little feedback on itself if done in a certain way will make some really interesting droney noises. But I’m still dialing in how to keep control over volume and tone of the drones. It’s pretty damn fun learning how, though. I’ve been feeling like I’m in that movie “Altered States” for the last few nights. Trippin out.

1 Like

It’s 1 second window. In this mode the pedal is constantly recording to a 1 second buffer in the background. When you press Touch the 4 read heads start playing back the loop. Keep in mind that there are 2 ways to use the Touch footswitch though - either held down for momentary effects, or with a quick tap to engage / disengage.

Currently if a loop is playing back and you want to get new material into the buffer you have to tap Touch to stop the loop and then tap again to start playing back a new one. This can lead to a short gap between loops which may be undesirable. In the next update I’ll be making this smoother with “double buffering” so that you can record a new loop while the current one is playing back. There’s a little more info / context in this thread.

2 Likes

Amazing, looking forward to it Jaak!

2 Likes

Thanks Jaak!
Reading through things again, “its constantly recoding in the background” that really changes things, I was thinking when I pressed the touch switch it would capture at that moment and hold my note, I will continue to search for my drone and look forward to the “double buffer” update!

1 Like

Magnetic Dance is my go-to drone maker (combined with a drone layer from Mood MKII in Stretch mode). Ambient for days.

2 Likes

Have you posted and clips? I’d be interested to hear that :v:

@Rich I have a few that I can post and link. Let me work on that tonight and please ping me with a reminder if I don’t post a reply this weekend.

@Rich I have uploaded my drones to a playlist on my SoundCloud profile. All of them feature Ribbons and Mood MKII droning (plus layers from other pedals), but on the first track (#20) you can hear Magnetic Dance in all its splendor including chord changes with the T1 knob.

2 Likes